Last but certainly not least is the finale of all fashion weeks…and of course this means we have reached Paris fashion Week!
As usual the Posh Parisians gave us an outstanding event with enchanting endless looks. Let’s go back and review some of the highlights of Paris Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2016, as well as scope out some of the top trends that were showcased on the Parisian catwalks this season.
- The Mood: That not-so-small Paris landmark, the Eiffel Tower, was lit in colors with the slogan “La Mode Aime Paris” (fashion loves Paris) to mark the capital’s showcase.
- Happy Birthday French Vogue: During Paris Fashion Week French Vogue celebrated its 95th birthday.
- Vivienne Westwood: And it was a Westwood Carnival! Vivienne Westwood brought a carnivalesque feel to Paris Fashion Week this season. In a black painted room, under giant disco balls and red laser lights, sat an audience that had enough colour and theatricality to make up a show of its own. Many of them have now followed the veteran British designer and collected her garments for decades now. A show is a chance to promenade their best or newest bits of Westwood.
- Balenciaga: Bye, bye Balenciaga. Alexander Wang gave his Balenciaga wigs up this season – his successor will be announced in the coming weeks. His last Balenciaga theme: white.He made sure he had a bit of star quality too, enlisting Suki Waterhouse, Riley Keough and Zoe Kravitz to model in the show.
- Dior: Dior’s show space was one to remember, with the Louvre’s Cour Carrée playing host to a giant man-made hill adorned with blue flowers. Raf Simons, now Dior’s artistic director, has been toying with a lighter mood and construction, often via firmly dresses so light they resemble summer mist – and that’s exactly what we saw this season.
- Loewe: Clingfilm and smashed mirror trousers? Is Loewe showing us a real glimpse into the future of fashion? Such practical kitchen and home material – but such a pointless item of clothing. Made you look though…made you even stare, didn’t it? Which is half the battle done when you’re a luxury leather house with a lot of accessories to shift. The bags are again fabulous, the little kitten, heeled boots are great and the calm, exquisitely cut linen and suede pieces and knitwear sneaked in amongst the smashed mirror trousers and overtly branded what-nots are desirable and wearable.
- Lanvin: Lanvin, always a romantic house, started its spring/summer 2016 seduction with champagne and pink iced heart-shaped biscuits for guests. Then it got down to business with a fast-paced, fabulous show that opened with a starkly androgynous look – model Ruth Bell and her blonde shaved head (shaved heads on girls are back in a big way this season so it seems) stormed the runway in a balloon-sleeved white shirt, high-waisted black trousers and high cut courts. A strong monochrome daywear story followed which then gave way to a celebration of night time glamour, rich color and 1980s pizazz. There were long silky dresses and full sequin looks, a long line silver jacket and slouchy black trousers, a pink and red drop-waisted dress -and a vast array of cocktail dresses worn with oversized outerwear.
- Carven: Barbie is back and she’s roaming the streets of Paris in Carven! The plastic posh lady has been popping up all over the French capital dripping in Carven from head-to-toe.
- Dries Van Noten: Van Noten brought his signature eclectic charm to the Paris catwalks. The collection beautifully combined Forties silhouette with bold flashes of clashing bright prints and artful embroidery.
- Maison Margiela: The infamous John Galliano, creative director for Maison Margiela showed his fourth collection this season and it was the bags that caught our eyes. They were strapped to the models’ backs with silk-covered bungee cord-esque ropes. Hands free just got high fashion.
Paris Fashion Week is always a wonderful end to all fashion weeks! From the fabulous fashion shows we caught all week, let us now look back at the top trends from the fabulous French:
1) ROCKER CHIC
2) BODYLICIOUS BOWS
3) 90’S INSPIRATIONS
4) WHITE, WHITE, WHITE
5) BIG BELL SLEEVES
6) HAWAIIAN HOTTIE
7) PETITE PLEATS
8) LINGERIE INSPIRATIONS
9) FUTURISTIC FANTASY
And that completes our final wrap-up of spring/summer 2016 fashion show trends! Hope you pick and choose the trends that fit your lifestyle into your wardrobe this coming season and we will catch you the next time around ; )