New York Fashion Week 2014 has wrapped up and London Fashion Week has currently started and in full swing! However, let’s look back at some of the highlights of New York Fashion week as well as the top trends that were seen on the runways.
• Donna Karan, with a little tear and a victory walk down the runway, marked her company’s 30th anniversary Monday night with a journey through New York.
• Victoria Beckham showcased a much leaner and looser collection this season. Mannish coats and jackets have line-lengthening lapels that stand away from the body with minimal detailing.
• Michael Kors showed off his line of casual wear which includes comfortable clothes that can be worn anywhere. Although he often creates amazing designs for special occasions, he admitted that he doesn’t like to think about his designs being worn once and then hung in a closet for eternity.
• Nanette Lepore is another popular designer who showed off her best designs yesterday. Her designs were inspired by a laidback style and included tops, dresses and jackets with fun prints, ruffles, embellishments and hemlines.
• Betsey Johnson, (one of my favorites growing up!) known for her hot, modern and eccentric designs did not disappoint at fashion week. She stuck with what she does best and created a line of mini dresses that left little to the imagination.
• Marc Jacobs created quite the show! He showcased his “mean collection” of layered up separates: polo necks, sweaters with padded elbows, tailored jumpsuits, paneled shirting, belted blazers. Lots of black and red and grey and logos like Revolution! Bunny Hop! Uprising! were everywhere. The show finished with glittery pleated tulle skirts, which was as girly-girl as the collection got.
There were many more wonderful designers and collections showcased throughout the week, and while looking at all of them as a whole, we were able to pick out the main trends seen within New York Fashion week 2014. They are:
1) Crop Tops
2) Sheer Dresses
3) 90’s Sportswear Inspired Pieces
4) Metallic Shine
5) Boyish Tailoring
6) Black and White Combinations
7) White Hot from Head to Toe
8) Bright Tangerine Lipstick
9) Middle-Parted Hair
Thanks for reading Fashsetters! And stay tuned for our next blog post with the wrap up of London Fashion Week 2014!
As always, stay fashionable, stay fabulous!